WCPFC - Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission
WCPFC Convention Map
Direção-Geral de Recursos Naturais, Segurança e Serviços Marítimos (DGRM)
Telephone:213035700 Fax: 213035702
Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission
PO Box 2356
Pohnpei State, 96941
Federated States of Micronesia
Phone +691 320 1992 or 320 1993
Fax: +691 320 1108
Web site: https://www.wcpfc.int/
WCPFC is a Regional Fisheries Organization established under the Convention on the Conservation and Management of Highly Migratory Fish Stocks in the Western and Central Pacific Ocean. The objective of the WCPFC is to ensure effective management of highly migratory fish stocks in the Western and Central Pacific Ocean.
Commission: It is the decision-making body of the Convention. It has international legal personality and legal capacity to carry out its functions and achieve its objectives. The Commission shall hold an annual meeting. The conservation and management measures adopted by the Commission are binding for the Contracting Parties.
Scientific Committee: The function of the Scientific Committee is to ensure that the Commission obtains the best scientific information available.
Technical and Compliance Committee: The function of this Committee is to provide the Commission with information, technical advice and recommendations on the implementation and enforcement of conservation and management measures.
Northern Committee: makes recommendations on the application of conservation and management measures that may be adopted by the Commission for the northern zone of 20 ° N.
In 2006, an ad hoc working data group (AHTG Data) was established.
The permanent secretariat consists of an executive director and his staff. The Executive Director is the Commission's chief administrative officer.
- Have a valid fishing license in accordance with Article 6 of the Control Regulation (Regulation 1224/2009);
- Implementation of the relevant IMO Vessel Identification System if required under Union law;
- The fishing vessel is not on a list of IUU vessels adopted by an RFMO and / or the Union under the IUU Regulation;
- The flag Member State has fishing opportunities under the fisheries agreement in question;
- Have a satellite monitoring system (VMS) installed and operational;
- Have a system for the electronic filling and transmission of fishing logbook data installed and operational;
- Have valid certificates of airworthiness and compliance; and,
- Have a VMS system specific to WCPFC (Measure 2011-02) installed and operational.
Populations of tunas and related species
Species with special catch registration and control regimes
- by-catch reduction as far as possible;
- Reduction of bycatch of sea turtles (see Measure 2008-03) and respective guide. See also FAO Guide;
- Reduction of by-catch of seabirds;
- Surface longliners
Embarkation of observers
A minimum coverage of 5%
Interdiction / Closed areas
Swordfish catch is prohibited in the area bounded on the north by the parallel 20 S, on the south on the parallel 60 S, on the East on the Meridian 150 E and on the West on the Meridian 130 W.
Conservation and management measures