Depending on the function to be performed on board, the seafarer must attend one or more of the following types of courses:
- Training courses - for access to maritime registration in the category of ratings
- Other courses - for progression purposes to one of the categories of ratings
- Courses for merchant naval officer (1st cycle level) - for access to maritime registration in an officer category
- Leadership courses (2nd cycle level) - for access to a category of officer leadership
- Certification courses - for access to a professional qualification certificate.