Article 39 et seq. of Decree-Law No 73/2020, of 23 September, provides for the licensing of the fishing activity and the use of fish gear, whether in national territory, in third countries or on the high seas.
There are 2 types of licenses, assigned annually:
- Licenses for vessels
- Licenses for the harvest of marine animals and catch fishing.
Exceptional licenses revocable all the time may also be granted, when it comes to collecting of species for scientific purposes, including activities related to experimentation or restocking, provided that they are controlled by the fisheries administration and supervised by recognized scientific institutions.
Licensing is the responsibility of the DGRM except in the following cases:
- Licensing for the operation of vessels registered in ports of the autonomous regions, as well as for the gear used by them, for the capture of resources that occur in waters under national jurisdiction covered by those regions
- Licensing for fishing activities and their gear, without support of vessels, of resources occurring in waters covered in the respective Regions.
The following are also subject to specific licensing rules:
- The surface longline fishery, which is directed for Swordfish, whose rules are provided for in Ordinance No 90/2013, amended by Statement of Rectification No 13/2013, and amended by Ordinances No 247/2016 of 3 June, No 119/2014 of 14 September, No 330-B/2016 of 21 December, No 271-A/2018 of 1 October, and No 254/2020, of 26 October.
- Directed fishing for deep-sea species, whose licensing criteria are set out in Regulation (EU) No 2016/2336 of 14 December, and designated ports provided for in Ordinance No 1063/2004 of 25 August, as amended by Ordinance No. 1157/2010 of 5 November.
Professional Fishing Licensing
The renewal of fishing licenses is a process initiated at the DGRM's initiative and is intended to maintain the situation of the last license of the previous year. No changes are contemplated, which should continue to be required by interested parties. The renewal of fishing licenses shall always be granted, unless express rejection of the DGRM to inform the applicant and the captaincy of the port of registry by 30th November of each year.
This renewal is dependent on the verification of minimum fishing activity during the 12 months prior to the license application through the results of sale of fish registered in auction (Docapesca). When not making sales in Portuguese ports, it should justify the fulfilment of the Economic Link with Portugal (Decree-Law No. 525/99 of 10th December), since only those registered in Docapesca are validated for this purpose.
If, for any exceptional reason, you have not engaged in fishing or harvest activities regularly between July of the previous year and June of the current year, you should justify the reduced activity (due to the repair of the vessel or the owner's disease, duly documented or due to change of owner), after receiving notice of the intention to refuse, under penalty of your fishing license may not be renewed.
As from 2020, only vessels which have no activity other than seasonal activity will be able to benefit from the reduction of the minimum sales required, so if you do not carry out an annual activity, you should suspend the fishing permits in good time.
Granting of new fishing gear
Licenses for catchers of marine animals and catch fishermen
Online service for request ANI - Register as majoeira catcher (Request between 1 of June and 31 of July)
Online service for request ANI - Renewal as majoeira catcher (Request between 1 of June and 31 of July)
Online service for request ANI - Licensing at PNSACV and RNB (Request between 1 and 31 of August)
Find out ANIs 2020 vacancies by consulting here
Useful information for catchers marine animals in early activity
Download (388 KB)
Table with utensils and species
Download (188 KB)
List of licensed catchers/fishermen for the Parque Natural do Sodueste Alentejano e Costa Vicentina (PNSACV)
Download (657 KB)
Selection of candidates for new goose barnacle harvester permits in Reserva Natural das Berlengas (RNB)
Download (766 KB)
List of licensed catchers for Reserva Natural das Berlengas (RNB)
Download (604 KB)
Catch / Fishing Manifest
Permits for experimental fishing
Fishing authorization for scientific purposes