The exercise of recreational fishing is generally subject to licensing, with the exception of:
- The recreational harvest, without the use of any capture utensils
- Children under 16 years of age, provided that they are accompanied by license holders; and
- Non-residents in Portugal, who participate in international sport fishing championships, upon presentation of proof of registration.
Licenses may be daily, monthly or yearly, of one of the following types:
- Catch fishing: exclusively for exercise from dry land or island rock formations
- Boat fishing: for line fishing on board of a vessel, includes the license provided for in the previous paragraph
- Underwater fishing: exclusively for underwater fishing
- General recreational fishing: for fishing by line or from the vessel as well as for underwater fishing.
Licenses issued until the date of entry into force of the Ordinance No. 14/2014 shall be valid for the modalities, areas of operation and deadlines for which they were issued, and underwater fishing licenses shall be equivalent to general recreational fishing until their expiry.
Recreational fishing licenses may be obtained:
- Directly, by requesting a license for recreational fishing by e-mail, accompanied by proof of payment and identification of the applicant
- At the DGRM`s services or in the Regional Directorates of Agriculture and Fisheries of the North, Centre, Lisbon and Tagus Valley, Alentejo and Algarve, during the public opening hours, on all working days.
In the case of a foreign citizen, please indicate your Passport number, Identity Card issued in the country of origin or residence permit in Portugal.